I don't typically write about sad or bad things, as I want to try to remember the good things for years to come; however, I do feel that there are some sad things that we need to remember.
Yesterday, Josh took the kids to school for me since I had to be at work early. As he pulled back into the garage upon returning home, MC decided to dart out in front of his car. Definitely wasn't expecting this news when Josh called me at work. I couldn't fight back the tears as I thought about how sad and upset Jaxon would be when he found out. I know that I'm far from a cat lover, but what I do love is the joy that these two kittens bring Jaxon and Ava on a daily basis.
As much as I wanted the work day to end, I was equally dreading bringing the kids home to only find one of their kittens. The kids had a great day at school and were talkative as usual on the way home. When we pulled into the driveway and opened the garage door, Jaxon said "hope the kittens move out of the way. Oh, they always do, don't they Mom?" I didn't reply as my eyes welled with tears. Josh was sitting on the steps waiting for us. Jaxon hurriedly got out of the car and was searching for MC, as he only spotted Fluffy. Josh told Jaxon that he needed to talk with him about MC. As Josh told Jaxon about MC, Jaxon sobbed and cried out "No, bring him back, bring him back". He went through all of the emotions just as an adult would have, denying that it was true and asking how such a thing could happen. Josh is such a good father. He sat there so calm and patient, and spoke with Jaxon for quite sometime about how MC is now in heaven; how accidents sometimes happen; and even about his dog that he lost when he was younger. I, on the other hand, was a complete wreck and crying right along with Jaxon. We try so hard as parents to protect our children from harm and sadness, but it's not always possible. We've always tried to be very honest about everything with Jaxon and Ava. For a split second when Jaxon was sobbing, I thought that maybe we had done wrong by telling him the truth about MC. It was just for a second though. I feel that it was right to tell him the truth. Knowing the truth, he can now have closure.
As the evening went on, he frequently spoke about MC and how he loved and missed him. His eyes would well up with tears and his voice would crack as he would speak about him. By the end of the evening, he had started talking about all of the good memories of MC. How he loved to chase him and Ava around, nipping at their heals, and how he loved to run up in the rafters of the basement ceiling, and about how much he loved string and golf balls. Jaxon was also very happy to realize that all of his grandparents up in heaven would now have a loving, fun, rambunctious kitten to play with and that they could all help watch over MC.
As I sit here and record this memory, tears are in my eyes yet again. Jaxon is such a brave and smart little boy, sometimes wise beyond his years. We love you, buddy.


2 comments:
so sorry about MC... it's always hard losing a pet, even when you're an adult! http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm
That's what I always try to think of when I have to go through this... of course, it usually makes me cry harder... but the sentiment is right on target.
Ahhhh. I have tears in my eyes after reading this. And then when you said Josh was on the steps waiting to explain to Jaxon. So touching. It is amazing how smart little one's are. Thanks for sharing. Bless little MC. I love the pictures.
Post a Comment